Effective as of July 1, 2020
During the course of our various activities, we may gather and use personal information. This information may be obtained directly from you or collected from third parties that have the right to disclose this information to us. Our Policy regarding how personal information entrusted to us is collected, used, disclosed, or retained reflects the principles set forth in Canada’s Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act.
Please note that MFI reserves the right to update or change this Policy at any time. We will notify you of any changes by posting an updated Policy on this website. The most current version of this Policy will govern MFI’s use of your personal information. By continuing to access MFI’s website after changes are made to this Policy, you agree to be bound by the revised terms.
2. CONSENT FOR PERSONAL INFORMATION
By providing MFI with your personal information through our website or any of our forms, you consent to the collection, use, and disclosure of such information in accordance with this Policy or for the purposes identified to you at the time you provided the personal information. Any secondary use of the personal information will only be processed with your express consent, except as required by law.
You have the opportunity to withdraw your consent, or to opt-out at any time. If you wish to withdraw your consent or to opt-out at any time, including to remove yourself from our email/mailing list, please contact us as set out in Section 12 below.
3. INFORMATION WE COLLECT
MFI collects and processes personal information in accordance with this Policy. We will not sell, share, or rent this information to others, except as accounted for in this Policy.
The types of information that MFI collects includes:
- (a) MFI Programs. For certain MFI Programs, which are described at https://www.themfi.ca/programs, MFI receives and stores personal information in an anonymized form. For example, for the Model Schools Literacy Program, MFI collects anonymized information about the program participants, such as the participants’ names, addresses, school, and reading level.
- (c) Donation Recipient Information. Donations may also be made in honour or in memory of someone. The donor may notify the individual or the individual’s family on their own, or request that MFI send a free “eCard” to the individual. In the event that the donor requests that an eCard be sent, MFI will collect personal information about the recipient of the donation, or the family of the recipient in the case of a donation in memory, such as their name and email. We collect this personal information in order to notify the recipient of the donation through the eCard. We do not use or disclose the recipient’s personal information for any other purpose unless they give us permission to do so. We do not publish the amount of any donation made in honour or in memory.
- (d) Mailing Lists and Newsletters. If an individual signs up for a newsletter, MFI uses the email information to send newsletters and other information requested. Any personally identifiable information provided by you will be used for the purpose of delivering newsletters, MFI updates, and/or educational resources. An individual may opt out of receiving such communications at any time by contacting us as set out in Section 12 below.
4. WHY WE COLLECT YOUR INFORMATION
MFI collects information for the following purposes:
- (a) to develop and improve the MFI Programs, including the Model Schools Literacy Program, by collecting anonymized information about the program participants;
- (b) to provide MFI users with the resources they subscribe for, including educational resources through the Promising Practices in Indigenous Education Website (“PPW”);
- (c) to process donations made by you and, where applicable, to issue a tax receipt;
- (d) to respond to users’ communications or to send information requested by you, which may include, but is not limited to:
- (i) educational resources;
(ii) newsletter updates; and
(iii) inquiries about volunteering opportunities with MFI.
- (i) educational resources;
You may, at any time, choose to opt-out of receiving communications by clicking the unsubscribe button at the bottom of each email sent from MFI to you.
5. USE AND DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Personal information submitted to MFI, including through MFI’s website or a prescribed form, is kept confidential unless disclosed in accordance with your express consent or legal requirements. In any event, any personal information provided on any MFI platform by a user is voluntary: any personal information provided by a user is submitted at their discretion. Please note that revoking your consent may result in not being able to access or utilize certain MFI features.
MFI may use third parties and outside service providers with respect to its website and services. To the extent that any personal information is provided to these outside parties, MFI requires that the provider be bound by obligations consistent with this Policy and that such providers only collect, use, or disclose users’ personal information for the purposes of providing MFI features.
Personal information provided by MFI users will not be sold, shared, or rented to outside organizations unless in accordance with your consent. MFI reserves the right to contact any user at any time to forward information, respond to questions, or provide notification of any changes to our programs or our policies.
MFI will disclose personal information only if consent is given by the relevant individual or:
- (a) when permitted or required by law, such as in response to a subpoena or other legal process;
- (b) to a transferee of all or part of MFI;
- (c) to MFI’s service providers in accordance with this Policy; or
- (d) to meet legal obligations, including but not limited to regulatory reporting obligations.
MFI uses the following third parties and service providers:
- (a) we use CanadaHelps to process donations made using our website and to provide tax receipts directly to our donors.
6. YOUR RIGHTS AND ACCESS
You have the right to access personal information that MFI processes about you. You can request from us information about:
- the personal information we hold about you;
- the categories of personal information concerned;
- the purposes of the processing;
- details to whom your personal information has been/will be disclosed;
- how long we retain your personal information;
- if we did not collect the information directly from you, information about the source; and
- how to lodge a complaint with the correct supervisory authority.
You may also request from us the following:
- that we update any incomplete or inaccurate information about you; and
- that we delete your personal information in accordance with applicable laws.
You may request we action your rights by contacting us as set out in Section 12 below.
7. SOCIAL MEDIA/FORUMS
If you voluntarily submit or post any information, photographs, or other content to any MFI forums, Twitter pages, Facebook pages, or other social networking pages/sites, certain elements of your personal information may be automatically included in the posting, including your user name and email address, and this information may be collected and used by others. MFI has no control over, and is not liable for, the collection, use, or disclosure of any posted user content by users of such forums and social media networking pages. For further clarity, any personal information posted, used, or disclosed via such sites is not subject to this Policy.
8. LINKS TO OTHER SITES
MFI’s website may contain links to other sites. Please be aware that MFI is not responsible for the privacy practices of other sites. We encourage MFI site visitors to be aware that when they leave our site, they should thoroughly read the privacy statements of each and every web site that collects personally identifiable information.
This Policy applies solely to information collected by us.
MFI employs reasonable industry safeguards which are intended to protect our systems against unauthorized use and access to personal information. It is important to remember that no method of transmitting or storing data is completely secure. Mail, voice communications, faxes, and data transmissions over the Internet are all susceptible to possible loss, misrouting, interception, and misuse of the information being communicated or transmitted.
Our servers on which your personal information resides are located in Canada, and follow industry standards pertaining to security.
MFI shall comply with, and provide MFI users with reasonable assistance in complying with applicable laws with respect to any unauthorized use, access, or disclosure of personal information.
MFI only retains personal information for as long as it is necessary for the purposes for which it was collected. When personal information is no longer required for these purposes, it is securely destroyed or deleted. For further details on our data retention periods, please contact us.
12. ACCESS, QUESTIONS AND CONCERNS
To review or update your personal information in MFI’s possession, or withdraw consent for the collection, use, and/or disclosure of your personal information or name from an email or other mail list, please contact us at:
759 Victoria Square, Suite 300
Montreal, Quebec, H2Y 2J7
Tel: (514) 982-3911